Dairy Free Crispy Crunch/Butterfinger Bar!


While trying to find a recipe for my all time favourite chocolate bar (Wunderbar), I stumbled across a recipe for Butterfinger bars. Butterfingers are basically the American equivalent of Crispy Crunch bars. I always loved getting bite sized Crispy Crunches at Halloween when I was younger. Since they are coated in milk chocolate, I've sadly had to give them up.

Since Crispy Crunch bars seem to only exist in Canada, I used a recipe for homemade Butterfingers. This recipe was pretty easy, and pretty similar to the sponge toffee recipe I had made a few weeks before. When the writer talks about making the candy in a non-humid environment....she's right! I was boiling a pot of chicken broth when I made these, and I'm pretty sure it was too moist in my kitchen and then mixture didn't turn out as crispy as I would have liked. Next time I make them I'll be sure to do it on a dry day, and I'll make it in a smaller pan. I used a large pan like the recipe suggested and it made the candy too thin and not as flaky and crispy. I think I'll use an 8x8 pan when I make them again.

This recipe is dairy free if you use semi-sweet chocolate chips. I melted the chocolate chips and thinned it with a little oil and then dipped the pieces. I let them rest on a piece of wax paper. There was no way I could wait as long as the recipe suggested for cooling and cutting and all that. I was too eager to taste the treats! I made the candies into the size of Halloween candy and it made close to 60 pieces. For having 60 pieces of candy, they didn't last very long! They tasted very much like a Crispy Crunch/Butterfinger. I still crave Wunderbars, but atleast now I have a dairy free Crispy Crunch and Crunchie substitute!

Comments

  1. Interesting :-) Came here looking for what a butterfinger bar substitute would be.
    No such thing here in Aust and the silly cake recipe calls for one.
    Bummer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment