Dairy Free Dirt Cups


When my brother, sister and I were little, my mom made us a dessert called Dirt Cups. It was a dessert that we didn't have very often, but it was delicious. Dirt Cups are a mixture of chocolate pudding, whipped cream and cookie crumbs topped with a gummy worm.

Since I can't have dairy anymore, pudding was pretty much out of the question. All of the boxed pudding mixes have powdered milk or some kind of milk ingredient. While browsing through The Joy Of Cooking, I found a recipe for old fashioned chocolate pudding that is made on the stovetop. I had always thought that pudding was ridiculously hard to make, hence the creation of boxed pudding, but it was actually quite easy! The hardest part was waiting for the chocolate to melt in the warm soy milk. The rest was pretty much just stirring!

Once the pudding was made and cooled in the fridge, I whipped up some Nutriwhip. I found this in the dairy section at the grocery store and it's lactose free! I don't know if it's entirely dairy free, but it didn't seem to bother me. It tastes pretty much like Cool-Whip, but it's better than waiting for a frozen tub of oil to defrost!

To make the dirt cups, all you do is mix the pudding with the whipped topping and add a bit of cookie crumbs. For the cookie crumbs I used boxed Oreo crumbs, they are dairy free! In small dishes add a layer of cookie crumbs, then a layer of pudding and then another layer of crumbs. Repeat until you reach the top of the dish. About halfway up the dish add a gummy worm and cover it with the pudding mixture. It's always fun to find a gummy worm buried in the dirt! Top it with a gummy worm and you're ready to serve!

I loved this dessert as a kid, but I can see why we had it so rarely. It's labour intensive to layer the pudding and crumbs when you have three sets of hands trying to sneak a taste!


Chocolate Soy Pudding

1 3/4 cups soy milk (I used original flavour)

1/2 cup sugar

2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped

1/8th teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1/4 cup soy milk

1 teaspoon vanilla


1. Combine the milk, sugar, chocolate and salt in a saucepan. Heat it over medium heat until the chocolate melts.

2. Mix the cornstarch and milk until smooth.

3. Slowly add the cornstarch and stir until smooth. Stir until mixture reaches a simmer. Cook for one minute at a simmer and them remove from heat.

4. Add vanilla.

5. Transfer to bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming.

Comments