Old Fashioned Donuts


My favourite donut has always been Old Fashioned Sugar donuts from Tim Hortons. I'd take one of those over a chocolate dop any day. I love how they are so dense, and slightly spiced. Unfortunately, donuts have milk in them, so I hadn't had a donut in a really long time. I had made churros to finish off a Mexican inspired meal, and I felt bad chucking a pan of perfectly good oil. I was thinking of things that I could fry, and donuts came to mind!

I found a recipe in The Joy of Cooking for cake donuts that sounded very much like the donuts I used to love at Timmies. The donuts are cakey with a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg. The ingredients were pretty standard. Instead of milk I used my old trusty President's Choice Organic Original Soy Milk. The recipe took a while to make since the dough had to chill for up to 2 hours (or 1 in the freezer) and then the formed donuts had to rest on the counter to crust up a bit. We fried them up in a frying pan with about 1 inch of oil, a lot less than the recipe calls for. I don't think it made much difference, since the donuts puffed up and ver nice and brown.

After the donuts came out of the oil, I let them drain a bit on some paper towel and tossed them in plain sugar and also cinnamon sugar. I tried to roll some of the donut holes (Timbits) in powdered sugar, but they were too warm and the sugar just melted into a glaze. They were still yummy, but I couldn't wait long enough for them to cool down before I wanted to eat them.

They were enjoyed by all, and I could finally have the donut I had been craving for so long! I think I'll make them again as an Easter treat!

Comments