$160 Baby Back Ribs


Why is this meal called $160 ribs? It's not because of an ultra expensive sauce made of obscure ingredients, or a very pricey rack of ribs. It's because while shooting this dish, my camera landed lense first in sticky, gooey barbeque sauce. Note to people taking pictures of their food, don't take your hands off the tripod...ever! After my camera took a nose dive into barbeque sauce, it needed to be totally ripped apart and cleaned, to the tune of $160. The bright side of this story is that the ribs were delicious, and I now am super paranoid about my camera while taking food pictures!
A few weeks ago I noticed that pork ribs were on sale, so I bought some and froze them until I found a good recipe. I found that recipe in my trusty Joy Of Cooking.This recipe was pretty easy. I had thought that ribs were a pain in the butt to make, but it really wasn't much trouble. First I used a Southern style dry rub on the ribs and marinated them in the rub and beer overnight. I flipped them a couple of times so that each side could soak in the beery goodness. I then covered the baking pan with foil and baked the ribs at 350 for an hour and a half. After that time, I drained beer out of the pan and basted the ribs. They needed to be basted every 10-15 minutes for an hour. After the basting was done, the ribs were ooey gooey and so saucy. The meat was really tender and not very fatty. I served the ribs with potato salad and corn bread. I used the Homesteader Cornbread recipe from Allrecipes, but I used soy milk instead of regular milk and I added crispy bacon and caramelized onions. Both sides were so yummy, but I dropped my camera in the sauce before I could get pictures of them.
I'll definitely make these ribs again. They were a big hit....unfortunately they were a big hit on my wallet as well!

Barbeque Sauce
1 1/2 cups ketchup
1 cup cider or red wine vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup light or dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1/4 cup chili powder, or to taste
1 tablespoon fresh ginger or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 minced garlic cloves
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 lemon slices

Simmer, stirring often for 5 minutes. Remove lemons before serving. It will keep for 2 weeks in the fridge.

Southern Barbeque Dry Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sweet or hot paprika
1/4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon mace (I didn't have any, so I omitted it)
1/4 cup of salt
1/4 cup black pepper

I have used this rub on chicken as well. It makes 2 cups, which is enough dry rub to see you through the summer barbeque season.

Comments