Guinness and Steak Pie


I was reading another cooking blog yesterday trying to decide what I was going to make for Sunday supper. I read Closet Cooking often, and I've tried a few recipes from the fellow Canadians site.

I used his modified version of Jamie Oliver's Steak and Guinness Pie. Kevin (the food blogger) changed the recipe so that I can fit in a 9 inch pie plate instead of the original puffed pastry version. I'm still so-so at making pie crusts, so I used this recipe for practice. This time I only had to make the pie crust once! That's a big improvment for me.

This was the first savory pie that I have made and it was pretty good! The beef was tender from being simmered on the stove for 3 hours and the filling was hearty. The only changes I made to this recipe was to omit the cheddar cheese and thicken the sauce with a roux of margarine and flour. The roux consists of equal parts margarine and flour mixed together into a paste and then blended into the sauce. I'm glad I thickened the sauce because it was pretty watery on the stove. I placed the filling in a Classic Crisco Pie Crust double crust version and let it bake for 35 minutes.

It was a delicious supper! Paul and I both had seconds. This pie would be great during the winter as it is really filling and warm, but it was great on a warm May evening too! The great thing about this meal was that I didn't have to make any dairy modifications!

Comments