Molten Chocolate Cakes


Molten chocolate cakes are my go to dessert when I can't think of what to make when company is coming. They look like a lot of work, but they are really easy. You can even make them in advance and keep them in the fridge until you are ready to have dessert. The ingredients are pretty simple and I usually have them on hand.

I recently made these for Mother's Day since my whole family loves chocolate. When I went to find the bittersweet chocolate, I noticed that I only had two squares left. The box also said that they contain milk ingredients, so I was really bummed. I really wanted to make them, but I didn't want to risk feeling sick. I found a bar of 70% cocoa chocolate and used that and topped the rest up with chocolate chips. I was a little nervous about using chocolate chips, but they turned out just fine! As for dairy free substitutions, I used margarine instead of butter and I scrambled to find bittersweet chocolate without milk in it. I guess finding dairy free baking chocolate will be my next mission!

I got this recipe from Martha Stewart. Her recipes seem to be pretty hit or miss, but this one hasn't failed me yet...even without having the right chocolate! The recipe says it only makes 4, but it makes 6 very nice sized cakes. I couldn't imagine how big 4 would be. I think my muffin cups would overflow with all of that batter in there. I usually serve these with a whipped topping and strawberries. Molten chocolate cakes with strawberries and cream (whipped topping....whatever) are the best way to end a meal with your family and friends!


*Food styling by Mark.

Comments