I love strawberries. I love pie crust. Mix the two together and you get a very awesome summer pie! I discovered this recipe one summer after a friend brought us a pie that his mom had made. I found a similar recipe in the Joy of Cooking for a glazed berry pie, and modified it slightly to make it like the delicious pie I had previously enjoyed. The recipe is very simple and doesn't have too many ingredients. It is best made with fresh strawberries, so I tend to only make it during strawberry season, which sadly doesn't last too long around here. The best thing about this recipe is that it's totally dairy free. If you used a gluten free pie crust it could be gluten free too.
-one single crust pie crust. I use the Crisco recipe. Baked
-6 cups strawberries or red raspberries
-1 cup sugar
-1/4 cup cornstarch
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-1/2 cup water
-2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
1. Hull the strawberries and cut the bigger ones in half. Measure 4 cups of berries and place the remaining 2 cups of berries in a bowl. Blend remaining two cups using a blender or food processor until smooth.
2. Whisk together sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium sauce pan.
3. Whisk in 1/2 cup water.
4. Stir in the pureed berries and lemon juice.
5. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
6. Arrange berries cut side down in the pie shell. Pour the berry mixture over the top of the berries and place in fridge for at least 4 hours.
The berry mixture will become gelatinous as it cools and it holds the berries together so it doesn't ooze when you cut pieces of pie. I'm not usually a fan of pie, but this one rocks. The berries soften a bit after the warm mixture is poured over top, but after it cools in the fridge it's a refreshingly cool summer treat!