Pulled pork and cool kitchen gadgets.


This weekend we had a party up at Paul's cottage with his friends. We knew the weather was going to be kind of crappy, so we didn't want to stand outside in the pouring rain cooking our supper. We wanted something that was no fuss so it allowed us all the time we wanted to just relax. Pulled pork fit the bill. Season some pork, dump some chicken broth on it, turn on the slow cooker and you're done! Pretty simple!
When Paul was in school at crazy hours and I was at work, slow cooker meals really saved us. There often wasn't enough time between getting home from work and Paul dashing out the door to cook a nice meal. I soon discovered the joy of prepping food the night before and turning it on in the morning and coming home to a perfectly cooked meal.
Pulled pork is so simple. The recipe I use is very loosely based on a recipe I saw on Allrecipes.com. All I do is season a pork butt/shoulder roast (aka picnic roast) with spice rub, I used a Southern rub from my ribs night, put it in the slow cooker, pour about two cups of chicken brother around it and set the timer for 7 hours. I cook it on low so that it stays moist. A 3-4 pound roast is good for 7 hours, reduce the time for smaller roast and increase for larger ones.
After the pork has cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and shred with two forks. Dump out all of the cooking juices and return the meat back to the pot. Smother the meat with your favourite barbeque sauce and heat for another 30 minutes. This weekend we used barbeque sauce from Camp 31. We used their award winning barbeque sauce that we bought during Rib Fest.
Once the pork is heated through, pile it on a bun and enjoy! We don't top the sandwiches with anything, the saucy goodness is yummy enough on it's own!
Today is my birthday, and I received some wonderful kitchen/blog related presents! Paul got me onion goggles! I have longed for onion goggles for a long time! When I have a lot of onions to slice, I run for my ski goggles to prevent crying. Now I don't have to! He also got me a proper tripod for our new dSLR camera. No more dropping my camera into food! My parents also got me a new cutting board. Great birthday all around!
*Photo taken by Paul!

Comments