Apple Strudel Muffins.


After promising Paul that I would make muffins all Christmas break, I finally got around to it tonight. The day before going back to work! We spent our Christmas being pretty lazy, and it was wonderful! I finally got my act together and made some muffins so that Paul would have a breakfast that is easy to take to work.
After reading over a couple of recipes on Allrecipes, apple strudel muffins caught my eye. I love apples and cinnamon together, so this recipe had to be good!
While I was making the muffins I realized that there were no liquids other than vanilla and eggs listed in the ingredients. I must have read the ingredients list a million times to make sure that I wasn't missing a key liquid ingredient.
The recipe is pretty straight forward. Mix the wet ingredients, add apples, throw in the dry stuff and stir. I used one and a half peeled Granny Smith apples to get 1 1/2 cups of chopped apples. I also used margarine instead of butter to make the muffins dairy free. Once all of the ingredients were mixed together, the batter was more of a dough than a loose muffin mixture. I was a little nervous. I'm used to having muffin batter resemble pancake batter, but this was like play dough. Instead of spooning the mixture in, I pressed the dough into the muffin pans and hoped for the best. I sprinkled the strudel on top and placed them in the oven.
Half way through baking my house smelled great, like French toast and apple pie all in one. We couldn't resist testing out a muffin after supper. They are more cakey than muffiny, but they are so good. The apple bakes down and becomes soft and the strudel topping becomes crispy and delicious. I can't wait to try one of these muffins for breakfast at work!

Comments